27.9.15

The Tale of the Dainty Dots Blanket #2 - The Big Reveal

Dear readers of this blog, dear accidental passersby, I hereby proudly present to you…
The Dainty Dots Blanket!

byHaafner, crochet, ganchillo, blanket, Dainty Dots,

Did you know…

- It took me one and a half year to complete? (Although to be fair I didn’t touch it for most part of last year.)
- It weighs almost four kilograms/8.8 lbs?
- Its measurements are appr. 2 x 2.1 m (appr. 6.6 x 6.9 feet)
- I’m really happy with my trick for turning a circle into a solid square?
- That I’m going to share this trick with you in my next post?
- The blues and greys are from a brandless cotton I bought at a Thai market?
- I sticked to only two rules while arranging the colours? (Namely: don’t join two squares which have the same colour and don’t join two dark colours.)
- I love big borders?


byHaafner, crochet, ganchillo, blanket, Dainty Dots,

Regarding the latter: As you can see I decided on a big border for this blanket. It consist of three parts: the solid one and then two parts lacy fans. It was a last minute choice, but I couldn't be happier with it. Though the border does somewhat outshine the rest of the blanket. ;-) I based the lacy part loosely on a pattern from a Japanese crochet book. Sorry I do not have more information about it. But basically you could adapt any pattern for a multiple row of fans, and use it as a border.


byHaafner, crochet, ganchillo, blanket, Dainty Dots,


















The basis for this blanket were the big blue and grey cotton yarn cakes. This yarn wasn't available in white at the time, so for that I used Rico Creative Cotton. Which is quite a bit heavier than the Thai cotton, but it worked.

byHaafner, crochet, ganchillo, blanket, Dainty Dots,

At the start I took a fair amount of time to work out a pattern for circle-turned-into-a-solid-square. I wanted the circle stay round, but in most patterns the circle becomes fairly square-ish when turned into a solid square. I'm quite pleased with my solution. Although the effect is a bit lessened here because the white is heavier than the coloured yarn. Ah well, can't have it all.

The funny (or stupid) thing is, when I unearthed it from its huge basket I was surpised how near-to-finishing it was. I was already halfway joining the motifs. With a big project like this I like to work for some hours in a row. I can't just steal thirty minutes here or there, like with a less substantial project. So, in the end it did all boil down to lack of time. But I enjoyed the finishing process thoroughly.

byHaafner, crochet, ganchillo, blanket, Dainty Dots,

Anyway, I hope you like it! Don't forget, next up on this blog is the pattern for the Dainty Dots Squares. (The squares, not the border, sorry!)

Thank you so much for visiting & have a lovely day.

20 comments:

  1. Wat een beauty! Ziet er geweldig uit Haafner. Een kunstwerk! En wat een gewicht :-)

    Fijne week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely gorgeous, what lovely edging! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hij is prachtig!! En petje af dat je na een jaar toch de haaknaald weer hebt gepakt voor deze beauty :-). Heel mooi dat je het strakke van de gekleurde rondjes gecombineerd hebt met die kantachtige rand!!
    Groetjes, Nelleke

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely gorgeous! It calmes me by just looking at the pictures...
    Nice work, you'll enjoy it for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is absolutely gorgeous! I love the border too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous... lovely colour selection and lacy border! I love the making of blankets, but oh the satisfaction of completing one and on to planning the next...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an elegant treatment of a simple circle and square. I love the border and the colors used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a huge beautiful blanket, Haafner!!!!
    happy week, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prachtig!! De kleuren, de rondjes die zo mooi tot vierkanten zijn gemaakt en de schitterende border die alles zo chic en vrolijk afrondt.
    En nu mag je weer aan iets nieuws beginnen :- ))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just breathtaking!
    I absolutely LOVE your border! I need to figure out how you did that - it is lovely! I'd smile every time I walked in the room with that on the bed...
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blanket is a master chief!!!!!!! I love it very very much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your masterpiece! It certainly was worth the wait:) The border is especially stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. BEAUTIFUL! Love, love the blue and lace combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mooi en wat een prachtig randje!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your blanket and the border is fabulous. I recently finished a big cotton blanket that weighs about 3kg.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just gorgeous! That lacy border is the perfect touch!
    Kate :}

    ReplyDelete
  17. How on EARTH did I miss this post? Oh My, such gorgeousness in a blanket. The circles are awesome and the lace border is sublime. Gorgeous work as ever. I think I may have to make a cuppa and just stare at this for a while! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Haafner, I have just popped over from Coco Rose blog has she mentioned you in her post today. And Wow what a truly stunning blanket I adore the lace like edge its just beautiful. I am so happy to have found you and I am now off to explore your gorgeous blog :-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful blanket! I love the colours! I had a go at one of these circles blankets but in multicolours. This is a gorgeous one!

    ReplyDelete