2.3.14

Crochet Everywhere

Today I thought I'd share with you a few of the crochet works I came across. Below you see the crochet converted van of a yarn shop, something of a small chain here. They use it as their market stand.

ByHaafner, crochet, granny squares, yarn bombing Thailand
















I think it is safe to say that crafty Thailand is very crochet orientated, more so than knitting. (Contrary to what the sign on the picture above suggests.) When you go to a market, you'll often see - female - vendors crocheting behind their stand. A lot of shops sells crochet items. Sometimes really nice, but other times I feel like abandoning this beautiful craft.

One shop I have to share with you is Bantaktor. It is from a crochet cooperative of which about 60 women are part of. They had some cute knitted items but it was mainly about crochet. The lady working in the shop was very friendly and informative. She told me most of the participants work without patterns. Also they only use cotton of a good quality. Find them online here.

ByHaafner, crochet shop, Bantaktor, Chiang Mai, crochet mugs

ByHaafner, crochet shop, Bantaktor, Chiang Mai, crochet stool, granny squares

ByHaafner, crochet shop, Bantaktor, Chiang Mai, crochet stool, granny squares

I really like these bags that are partly plastic netting and partly cotton.

ByHaafner, crochet shop, Bantaktor, Chiang Mai, crochet bags
















Another favourite of mine is this traditional woven basket (you find them a lot around here). Here however with a crochet jacket. Love the brown-blue combination.

ByHaafner, crochet shop, Bantaktor, Chiang Mai, crochet basket





















In a corner of the shop there was this little workspace. See how the kitchen whisks are used? Nice!

ByHaafner, crochet shop, Bantaktor, Chiang Mai, workspace





















In another (small) shop I found these boho bags. The mother of the shop owner made them.

ByHaafner, shop, crochet boho bags, granny squares














Thanks for travelling a while with me!
♦♦♦♦♦♦

14 comments:

  1. What are those, tiny little "handbags"? On the photo of the stools - which I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - good question! (And, if I may add: very well spotted Stel!) I should have mentioned that they also make crochet dolls and cute clothes for them. So these are the dolls' handbags.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering about those little bags too! very sweet, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place, so full of treasures. I love the baskets and the bags particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat een geweldige foto's! Vooral die rechthoekige boodschappentas/mand met gehaakte hoes spreekt me erg aan. Dank voor de inspiratie!
    Groetjes en een fijne week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoi Haafner,

    Wat een geweldige haakwinkels! Leuk om te zien dat het haken net zo populair is in Thailand als in Europa!

    Fijne week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved travelling with you once again! Crochet is HUGE in Asia - did you know that Anne Claire Petit employs about 200 women in rural North China to crochet all her toys? You managed to spot and capture really yummy work, but I certainly understand the garish side of what is available too LOL Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really beautiful findings Hafner!!!!
    I'm really enjoying your yarn trips!!!! ;oD
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  8. leuk verhaal en mooi foto's...ik voel me dat ik ook daar zijn....dank je wel en fijne dag..Groetjes uit Holland

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hafner! How are you? It's been a long time without your news!!!!
    xxxxxx ale

    ReplyDelete