23.1.15

Smitten. The pattern.

Wow, I was blown away by your kind comments on the Smitten Blanket. Many thanks!

As promised I'd come back here soon with the pattern. Well, tadaah, it's here now - written and as a chart! Regarding the latter: *phew* it was quite a challenge to draw one that's not veeery wonky. ;-) (BTW if you have a suggestion for good software to create crochet charts, I'd love to hear about it!)

byHaafner, crochet, Smitten, blanket, vintage pattern, popcorn stitch






























Please note that to the best of my knowledge this is a very old, vintage pattern. I re-created it from a blanket I fell in love with. However, if a original pattern is somewhere to be found, please let me know and I will of course give credit where it's due! Kudo's to the original designer of this lovely pattern.

Before you start crocheting...
 I made every popcorn stitch (abbreviated: pc) in this blanket with 6dc's. More common is a popcorn with 5 dc's. Using 6 dc really makes your popcorn pop, however if you're not a experienced crocheter of tend to make loose stitches I would advice to make a 5-dc pc, because otherwise the center of your square could get too heavy and could cause the last rounds to ruffle. And a 5-dc-popcorn is just as lovely. (And eats less yarn!)
If you have not worked a popcorn stitch before I can recommend Youtube for some excellent tutorials.
 I used a 5.5 mm crochet hook. This resulted in a blocked square of 34 x 34 cm.
 One square eats (very) roughly about 120 mtr yarn.
♦ Please note that in round 8 you do not want to make a dc on top of the popcorn from round 7. You'll need a little gap there - it is like the top of a little gap-staircase started in round 5, if you know what I mean ;-).
 Instructions between * * are repeated as many times as the patterns calls for.
 If you're using the chart as reference: I did not mark the first stitch of a round specifically as such.

ByHaafner, crochet, vintage pattern, blanket, popcorn stitch, crochet chart





















PLEASE do NOT share this pattern or chart elsewhere (like blog, facebook or instagram, snapchat, youtube, ravelry... et cetera!) but link to this page instead. And -  obviously - it's not allowed to sell it on etsy etc. Thanks for your understanding. 
























To start

chain 6, close in first chain to form a ring. Alternatively, make a magic circle.

Round 1
16 dc in ring.
(Your first dc is either made from 2 chains, or, preferably, by using a standing dc)

Round 2
*1dc, ch2*
repeat 15x (16 in total)

Round 3
*make 1pc in a ch2-space, ch3, 1 pc in next space, ch3*
repeat all the way round (16 pc's in total)
sl st in first pc of this round

Round 4
sl st in next ch3-space,
*1pc, ch3, 1pc, ch3, 1 pc, ch3, 1 pc, ch10*
repeat 3x (4 in total)
sl st in first pc of this round

Round 5
sl st in next ch3-space,
*1pc, ch3, 1pc, ch3, 1pc, ch2, [6dc + ch3 + 6dc + ch2 in ch10-space to make a corner]*
repeat 3x (4 in total)
sl st in first pc of this round

Round 6
sl st in next ch3-space,
*1pc, ch3, 1pc, ch2, 2dc in ch2-space, 1 dc in each of the next 6 dc's,[ 2dc in ch3-space + ch3 + 2 dc in same space], 1dc in each of the next 6dc's, 2dc in ch2-space, ch2*
repeat 3x (4 in total)
sl st in first pc of this round

Round 7
sl st in next ch3-space
*1pc, ch2, 2dc in ch2-space, 1 dc in each of the next 10dc's, [2dc in ch3-space + ch3 + 2 dc in same space], 1dc in each of the next 10dc's, 2dc in ch2-space, ch2*
repeat 3x (4 in total)
sl st in first pc of this round

Round 8
sl st in next ch2-space
*2 dc in this ch2-space, 1 dc in each of the next 14 dc's, [2 dc's in ch3-space + ch3 + 2dc in same space], 1 dc in each of the next 14 dc's, 2dc in ch2-space*
repeat 3x (4 in total)
Close this round with a slip stitch of by using a blunt needle.
Please note: don't make a dc in the pc of the previous round: you want a little gap there for the consistency of the pattern. (See remarks under Before you start crocheting...)

Round 9
Make a standing dc (alternatively: chain 2) in any dc of the previous round, 1 dc in each dc of the previous round. In the corners: 2dc in ch3-space, ch3, 2 dc in same space. Continue with 1 dc in each dc of the previous round. All the way round. Close the round.

Round 10
Repeat round 9.
Weave in ends!

ByHaafner, crochet, vintage pattern, popcorn stitch, granny square, crochet blanket

ByHaafner, crochet, vintage pattern, popcorn stitch, granny square, crochet blanket


Joining the squares
Have you made enough squares for your blanket? Congratulations! Now you can start joining them and watch the pattern fully emerge...
For my sample blanket I slipstitched the squares together. Hold the squares together (front sides facing eachother) and slipstitch through the outer loops. Easy peasy! After that, I gave my sample blanket a simple edging of two rounds of dc.

ByHaafner, crochet, vintage pattern, popcorn stitch, crochet blanket




Wow - that was it, I guess. Your blanket is ready!

Please leave a comment if you detect a mistake or if something is not clear and I will do my best to help. I do hope you have as much fun with this pattern as I had. Oh, and if you are making this blanket, I'd loooove to see the result!

Thanks for your kind visit. Much appreciated!
Happy crocheting and have a lovely weekend.



Liked this? My book Mandalas to Crochet is now available on Amazon! :-)

American edition (with American crochet terminology and published by St. Martin's Griffin):



English edition (with UK crochet terminology and published by Search Press):

56 comments:

  1. Beautiful crochet, how lovely to recreate a vintage pattern, and lovelier still to share the pattern and chart with us :)

    Am enjoying reading your fab blog, looking forwards to more of your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wat een mooi patroon om te maken. Ik gebruik stonewashed blue.
      prima beschreven en het haakt zo gemakkelijk. Hartelijk dank.
      groet, Jannet

      Delete
    2. Hartelijk dank voor het leuke patroon. Ik maak de deken in stonewashed blue en dat lijkt echt heel mooi. Groet, Jannet

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! And thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Thank you so much. Didn't expect you to have this up so soon! Will definitely be giving this a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'd love to see your blanket when it's finished! I'm sure your daughter in law will be very happy with your present.

      Delete
  4. It came out beautifully, Haafner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this gorgeous pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY WORD, I shall HAVE to try this! What have you done to me? Naughty you for making me add yet another 'must make' to my list! he he! I really shouldn't...but.......oh.....oh...there you go......you've twisted my arm. Oh go on then........!

    Tis' most lovely of you to have taken the time to write out the pattern, and (wowzers), do a chart too, for us non written lovers!!!!! It takes a huge anmount of effort and I'm so sure that it will be well appreciated by all us crochet lovers!

    Have a super day lovely xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Haha, thanks - that made me laugh... I'm happy you like the pattern!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! Many thanks for the pattern. what yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Dutch acrylic brand, I'm afraid it's not available abroad.

      Delete
  8. yippee, yippee ay yay! Wat een werk heb je verricht door een patroon én chart te maken. Diepe buiging.
    Ik ga meteen op jacht naar geschikt garen en stort me dan gelijk op je patroon. Dank je en een heel fijn weekend.
    Liefs uit Berlijn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Dank je wel Jeanette, hartstikke leuk dat je zo enthousiast bent. Ben benieuwd of je al geschikt garen hebt gevonden! Veel haakplezier en een geweldig weekeinde gewenst. xh

      Delete
  9. Thank you! It's a great pattern, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful blanket! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this great pattern!!!!!!

    Groetjes van Ellebel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an inspiring blog post, what beautifully illustrated instructions. thank you for posting and sharing. Pjx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Not only is this blanket GORGEOUS, that chart looks GREAT! Lots of time has been put ito this and the results are fantastic.
    Would love if you shared this at our Yarn Fanatic Linky Party - http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/01/yarn-fanatic-linky-party-21.html.
    And don't forget to enter the giveaway while you're there!
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra,
      Thanks for your very kind words! That's very sweet of you. I will check your link party out for sure.
      All best,
      xh

      Delete
  14. Bonsoir, hier j'ai découvert ce magnifique blog que j'ai ajouté à mes favoris. Je suis tout de suite tombée amoureuse de cette superbe couverture en me disant : il me la faut. Aujourd'hui j'ai commencé mon premier carré et je l'adore!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Christine, c'est très gentil! Bonne chance avec vos premiers carrés. :-)

      Delete
  15. cathiemini
    c'est un super travail, votre blog a été ajouté à mes favoris. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonjour, j'ai maintenant 16 carrés crochetés avec du 4 et une laine blanche de mon stock. J'aimerai aller jusqu' à 25. Affaire à suivre. a bientôt. Christine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup! I'd love to see your blanket. Have fun crocheting!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for the pattern! I started three weeks ago and just finished a beautiful blanket!
    Happy with the results. I changed a bit of the pattern, the square is more flat now I suppose.
    I will try to post a picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes please, I'd love to see your blanket! Thanks for your message and have a lovely day!

      Delete
  18. Simply stunning. Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Thank you Debbie, for your kind words!
      xh

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much for all the work you have done to share this pattern. I am really hoping to get to grips with charts so written instruction in addition to the actual chart is a godsend, helps so much in confirming what you are doing is correct. The trick is where to stick the hook, obvious if you know??
    Much appreciated.
    jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean!
      Definitely know what you mean and I'm glad you like it. I prefer charts to written patterns, but I like a combination of the both best. ;-)
      Happy crocheting!
      Haafner

      Delete
  20. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your sweet comment - much much appreciated!
      xh

      Delete
  21. Your Blanket is so beautiful. Thanks so much for taking the time to write out and post the pattern for us. Your so kind. I'm new to crochet and have learned there is a UK and US double crochet. I'm guessing this is US, am I correct?? I can't wait to make this. I love your blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol,

      Many thanks for your kind comment. I'm happy you like the blanket and the blog!
      Yes, I've used US terminology (everywhere on my blog).
      Happy crocheting!
      Haafner

      Delete
  22. Amazing blanket! Thanks a lot for the pattern ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Conny - My pleasure!
      Happy crocheting,
      Haafner

      Delete
  23. I have made 6 squares to make a baby cover. Blocking as I type, thank you soooo much for this beautiful but easy (even for me) pattern. Can't wait to put it all together and edge it. Best wishes from Australia xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I saw your post I fell in love straight away. I made this blanket on a double bed size for my brother in law and wife. It is so enjoyable and the result is so beautiful.
    Thanks a mill for sharing, definitely I will be using this gorgeous pattern again xXx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh I love this pattern just like your other popcorn square pattern. Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wanted to say a very big thank you to u for sharing this pattern with us all! I'm totally smitten! This has to be the most beautiful blanket ever! Defo gona be my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello from Brasil, I just stared this pattern. thank you so much sharing this beautiful blanket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made a popcorn quilt about 40 years ago from a pattern in a magazine - possibly Australian Woman's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Namaste from India,
    First of all I must say this is an absolute love-at-first-sight kinda pattern... Thank you so very much for sharing this pattern. Very nicely explained instructions. I have used this pattern for cushion covers in solid color. Everybody loved them.

    Thanks,
    Navneet kaur

    ReplyDelete