6.7.13

Finally - a finished throw

Or rather: finally pictures of a finished throw,
since I actually finished this one rather quickly.
But man, it took me ages to make the photos.

ByHaafner, crochet, throw, crocheted stripes, pastel, aqua, ocher




















Anyway, when I came across this pattern online.
I just couldn't resist and I had to make it. Pronto.
Let me elaborate a bit on how & where I came across it...
I saw this Obsession Afghan ;-) mady by Twyla from Two Crazy Crafters,
and loved the pattern at once.
The pattern is from another blog: The Adventures of the Gingerbread Lady.
Where the Gingerbread Lady is so kind to share it with us. (Thanks!)

ByHaafner, crochet, throw, crocheted stripes, pastel, aqua, ocher




















It is an addictive pattern. Once I started I couldn't stop.
I decided it would be the perfect stashbuster.
Except that it wasn't...
Because after a couple of rows a certain colour scheme appeared
that I quite liked. So I ended up buying lots more of aqua and ocher yarn, and added a hint of green.
(I just can't do it, letting go of the colour control freak inside me. Oh well.) In the end I used at least ten different shades of aqua, and quite a few ochers too.

ByHaafner, crochet, throw, crocheted stripes, pastel, aqua, ocher





















Like I said, it's an addictive pattern,
I finished the actual blanket within two weeks.
Then it took me some time to add all the fringes.
(As you might remember: I bored you with it in at least two blog posts.)
I didn't want a 'proper' border because I wanted the stripes to fade out, as it were.
Hence the fringes.

By the way, I found it difficult to make a decent picture of this throw.
Something to do with the stripes?

Anyway, I hope to make much more blanket with this pattern.
I made a few changes to the original pattern:
- I changed colours after every row (instead of every two rows).
- The stripes are in the width of the blanket (instead of the lenght).
- As said, I didn't make a real border.
A hook of 4.5 mm did the job, I used lots of different brands of acrylic yarn. (Some really, really cheap ones as well, think 'Zeeman' if you live in The Netherlands...)
Some yarns are actually a bit thinner then others, but I actually like the structure that gives.

ByHaafner, crochet, throw, crocheted stripes, pastel, aqua, ocher




















^ BTW - why does my arm look huge in this picture? ^

I really really really enjoyed working on this one.
So off you go to the Gingerbread Lady to make one yourself!
And I'm off to finish another blanket. :-)

 Have a lovely weekend - or what's left of it...

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! A lot of work but the result is fantastic.
    Greetings, Corine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat een pracht deken! Zonder franje al een erg mooie deken, alleen al door de mooie kleuren. Maar door de franjes is het echt een beauty. Het ziet er uit als een waterval in pastelkleuren.
    Een heel fijn weekend en ik ben benieuwd naar je volgende deken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE your's! It's beautiful! I love the dreamy color scheme. Simply gorgeous! Have a nice weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so beautiful and I always love the colors you choose!! Enjoy cuddling with it!! Have a lovely day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, great result!!! So nice blanket! :) Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful blanket! Keeping control of the colours worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh die van jou vind ik het mooist, want wat een mooi kleurpalet heb je samengesteld! Gefeliciteerd met het eindresultaat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prachtige deken!
    Mooie kleuren en de franje vind ik heel goed bedacht!

    (Dit patroon stond ook al op mijn lijstje, en nu ik jouw resultaat zie ben ik extra gemotiveerd!
    Een uitdaging.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those colors really MAKE the blanket! Gorgeous. I also like the rows going widthwise. Thanks for sharing. I really must give it a go.

    Best,
    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your color combo works very nice! The fringes are a lovely touch. It's true that it's sometimes very difficult to find a border that really complements the blanket and this is a nice solution I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous blanket you made!! I just love the pretty colors!! Wishing you a lovely day! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you managed to give a modern as well as retro feel to the blanket through the pattern and colours selection. It is a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also a beautiful blanket! The colors are so sweet and soft! Love it!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your blanket is really beautiful in those colors. I see why you wanted to continue with the color scheme. Just gorgeous! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so beautiful and your photos are inspirational! Thank you so much for letting me know about it, reading your blog has been a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to know what colors you used outside of the dashes I see here and there of stash. A beautiful throw.

    ReplyDelete